AKAY ESSEBOE, TOGO
ABOUT THE PROJECT:
The idea of the project is to help with the construction and organisation of tree nursery schools where Togolese youth can attend forest classes. As well as helping with the sale of saplings to the Togolese NGO ODIAE. The schools will inform Togolese youth about the risks of climate change and the benefits of sustainable development. They will organise practical training in composting, sowing (inedible) plants, collecting rainwater, watering plants and the subsequent care of saplings, which the students will receive for replanting in their own school and village, so that reforestation stops desertification.
– Conduct a market analysis of the demand for tree saplings, including marketing campaigns in the assessment.
– Also develop a business plan so that the tree nursery can become a profitable activity for SCED.
– Plan of action to combat tree felling: both an awareness-raising plan and a local tree survey of fast-growing trees that require little maintenance and want to nestle in the soil there.
– Expand the tree nursery schools depending on how the project has already progressed.
– implementation of the marketing plan (production of marketing material, online marketing and other methods). Explanation to staff of SCED on how to maintain and develop the tree nursery in the future.
– providing private awareness-raising workshops to the neighbourhood as well as to the surrounding communities. Including workshops on how to maintain tree nurseries.
– Further expand the tree nursery school depending on how it has progressed (composting unit, irrigation system, vegetable garden and fruit trees,…)
Expanding the tree nursery school and the education about climate change and its effects. Improve the sales of saplings with a business plan.
PREPARATION PHASE: OCTOBER – JUNE
IMPLEMENTATION PHASE: 6-8 WEEKS IN JULY AND AUGUST
Where: TOGO, ATAKPAME
Applications Deadline: 14th of October 2022
About the project partner
Akay Esseboe is an organisation that was founded because of the effects of climate change. As well as the drought problems, they are also concerned about the rapid deforestation due to overexploitation. Deforestation could be very bad for the current ecosystem, the health of the population and their food supply. Out of these concerns the idea for ‘the school of life, the ecology and sustainable development’ was created.
More information on their website: https://www.akay-esseboe.be/copy-of-home
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for 4/5 excellent and highly motivated students, with knowledge of english and preferably french. Cultural flexibility and respect for other cultures are a must. Students of all academic backgrounds are allowed to apply. However, for this project we are especially looking for students with backgrounds or special interest in:
If this sounds like the challenge you need in your life, not only to make the world just a little better but also to gain an incredible amount of experience in the process, do not hesitate to apply.
To apply, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Project student 2022-2023’ with your CV and a short motivational letter attached.